We signed up for a birthing class! It’s not until March, but the other option was in May. Not useful. It’s 1 evening a week for 4 weeks and this means shit is getting real. It’s through a small company near us that also offers lactation consultation, baby CPR classes and a host of other services. I also like that they use the terms birth partner and spouse in their literature and not father, husband, or other straight-centric labels.
How far along? 23 weeks, 6 days
Baby is the size of: a grapefruit. And my uterus is the size of a soccer ball. I believe it. This bump has grown quite a bit these last couple weeks.
Total weight gain: who knows. I just weigh myself at my appointments, but it seems to be progressing normally
- I feel like I’m in the Golden stage of pregnancy this week. I’m obviously pregnant, but not so much that its impeding my everyday life. The bump is totally manageable and I’m enjoying dressing it. I’m feeling our Gummy Bear every day now and getting used to her sleep/active schedule. But her kicks and jabs aren’t uncomfortable or painful yet. I’m only slightly achy and still have energy to get through the day, cook dinner, etc. It’s really nice.
- Heartburn is back with a vengeance. Back to carrying Tums with me everywhere
- Runny nose. Having to carry tissue now too
- Lots of burping. This has been the case since the very beginning. I get these weird burp/hiccups, but I’ll just have a couple at a time. Odd.
- Rib pain. My ribs were kinda fucked up before I got pregnant anyway – one side has always stuck out more than the other and they never really aligned. One side of my chest wall looks slightly concave compared to the other side. My sister, brother and two of my nephews also have this issue. Anyway, the left side, which has always stuck out more, now seems to be rubbing against my bra band. Even when I’m wearing a soft sports bra. And that side definitely has more soreness from the expansion. Oh well.
Food cravings: I go between desperately needing protein like beans and fish to gulping down a bag of Doritos. Everything in moderation, right?
Things that make me queasy: not much. Although someone at work heated up a Hot Pocket in our microwave yesterday and I thought I might lose my lunch from the smell.
Maternity clothes: I wore my last pair of pre-pregnancy jeans that fit this week. Technically, I can still button them because they have a low waist. But by 10:30am, I had to resort to the rubber band trick because they were so uncomfortable. Tops are still a mix of regular and maternity tops.
Sleep: better. I seem less cranky than last week. But I find it uncomfortable to switch sides in the middle of the night. Still waking up on my own about an hour before the alarm goes off. Not fun.
Purchases for baby: we didn’t buy anything, but we combed through the hand-me-downs piling up in the nursery and figured out what we needed. That was a lot of fun.
Purchases for mama: nothing this week.
Best moment of the week: starting our registry! So much fun picking things out.
I also updated my 3 month goals at work and realized I leave for maternity leave in a little over 3 months! I’m hoping to work until 2 weeks before my due date, so until May 6th likely. That seems very close.
Miss anything: a nice cold beer sounded really good this week.
Looking forward to: just look forward to the weekends now when I can wear pjs or soft pants all day and lounge around bra-less. It’s the little things.